Saturday 1 August 2009

Exploding tyres and home made cider

Day 21: Severn Bridge to MonmouthDay- 38 miles

Day 22: Monmouth- LeominsterDay -33.8

Day 23: Leominster- Craven arms- 25 miles

Day 24: Craven arms- Telford- 40 miles.



Total odometer reading 434.





All going well, beautiful riding up the Wye valley, following the twisting flooded Wye river. Criss crossing between Wales and England. Then into Shropshire and along Wenlock Edge, a long limestone escarpment clothed in ancient woodland.


Big thanks to Tony and his wife who rescued me after my front tyre exploded on a pot hole down a particularly steep and rough hill. Put a big hole in the inner wall of the tyre and completly shredded the inner tube.I was in the middle of nowhere but they gave me a lift into Hereford to get new gear, lent me a file to smooth down my wheel rim which had taken a beating- then fed me sandwiches and home made cider! Most excellent!




From Telford got a lift with Thelma,a family friend, to my parents house, partly for a few days of rest and recuperation partly to attend a ceremony for my dear Grandmother who passed on last year.



Good to take time to give my bike some loving too as all sorts of creaks and groans emenating from her. Fixed 4 slow punctures and replaced brake blocks which were brand new when I started but had practically worn down to the metal. Think it is due to the extra momentum created by the trailer plus more cautious riding,i.e braking, due to the wet.



Back on the road on Monday. North to Chester, along the tow path to Liverpool, the Lake district and beyond...



Pics in post below...

2 comments:

Angie said...

Hi Will,Sounds like you are having a good ride so far,and covering a reasonable distance each day,I have really enjoyed reading all about your adventures and hope to now keep up with it. Hope you can make a diffrence to many things for us all, see you at Nottingham in August 2010 or maybe before.
Best wishes in mindfulness
Angie

Will Newitt said...

Hi Angie, thanks for that,yes hoping to be there for 2010, breathing...