Wednesday 22 July 2009

Back on the road

Day 7: Exeter- Hemyock village: 29 miles

Day 8: Hemyock- Buddhafields: 9 miles

Day 9-16- Buddhafields

Day 17. Buddhafield (nr Taunton)- Cheddar: 40.4 miles

Day 18: Cheddar-Bristol: 28.2 miles


The festy was fun but the peace of the country lane and the humming of tyres feels so good. A number of times I found myself spontaneously bursting into (bad) song as I navigated my way down to Taunton and along the towpath to Bridgewater, from there it was easy cruising through the green and gentle countryside to just outside the town of Cheddar, famous for it's cheese and the mad people who chase it down a hill once a year.


Up early the next day, heavy dew on the ground, sun piercing the mist. Through Cheddar gorge and over the Mendip hills, good riding. Picked up the Sustrans cycle route about 15 miles outside Bristol and let it guide me gently along the river Avon and into the centre of the City.



My Dad recently alerted me to a great blog (theslowbicycle.blogspot.com). I just love this phrase :

"The true worth of a cycle ride is measured not in miles but in smiles"


Kind of relates to what I've been saying all along. Quite a subversive philosophy in our culture of rush and destination focus but feels real good to rebel. If we imagine life as one big cycle ride I think this concept has great wisdom.



So slow down and smile :)



p.s pics coming when I find computer with decent connection!

1 comment:

Robbie said...

I've started singing when I surf as well. For some reason, it's always really crap 80s 'power ballads', the sorta rubbish they play late at night on local stations. Was belting out The Power of Love last week at full volume, murdering an already pathetic tune when I heard a splash behind me, look round and hear "hey Robbie, you okay, man? You hit your head or something?"