Sunday 12 July 2009

embracing the rain

Day 5: Saltash-Clearbrook (s Dartmoor) 13 miles

Day 6: Clearbrook- Exeter 43 miles

In to Devon and up the old Plym valley railway line from Plymouth, right over the top of Dartmoor and back down to Exeter city, hot bath, bed and good food- thanks Alder family :)

Real wet couple of days, initially dissapointed as Dartmoor is one of my favourite known places in this country, however, once I'd accepted my projected expectations of sunshine were merely just that, I really enjoyed it. To be high up on those moors is like stepping back in time, it really is wilderness in places, stone circles and ancient settlements-there is a sense that the 21st century couldn't be bothered to make the climb and so just passed it by.

Ok sunshine would have been nice, but I had no control over that, and the acceptance inherent in that realisation allowed me to enjoy it for what it was. A number of times the word 'exotic' came into my mind. It's easy to think of exotic in the travel supplement sense as being a tropical island etc, but to me it more describes a feeling of experiencing things in a fresh open way. Up there in the fog and rain and broodingly dramatic landscape it felt very exotic.

Heading out through central Devon today towards the Buddhafield festival where I am doing some voluntary work. I love this festy, it has a strong focus on sustainable green living with workshops and talks. There's no drugs or alcohol just clear minds and positive living, will report back on it all in a week or so. Be well

No comments: